Gift Aid - A Guide

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows St George’s Ascot to reclaim the basic rate tax you pay as a UK taxpayer. We can claim 25p of tax for every £1 you donate, at no extra cost to you. All you need to do is complete a quick and simple Gift Aid declaration. 

Thank you - with Gift Aid your gift of £100 becomes worth £125, or £1000 becomes £1250. 

This can have a transformative impact on our school’s ability to invest in our pupils, our key projects, our site and our future. 

Fundrasing Regulator Logo
To Qualify for Gift Aid You Need to:
  • Be a UK taxpayer.
  • Have paid or expect to pay enough income or capital gains tax in the tax year your gift was received to cover all the Gift Aid donations you made to charity that year.
  • Make a Gift Aid declaration.
  • Ensure you paid enough tax to cover the donations you made in the previous four years if you are completing an enduring Gift Aid declaration (a declaration that applies to all your future donations).

You must remember to let us know if your tax status changes in the future, otherwise you could be liable for any shortfall.

For more information please visit the Gift Aid page on

How to Make a Gift Aid Declaration

You can make a Gift Aid declaration by:

Which Donations Qualify for Gift Aid?

Gift Aid can be applied to all voluntary donations of money, large or small, providing they are made by an individual who pays sufficient UK tax.

Your declaration will cover all cash, cheque, postal order, Direct Debit, standing order and credit or debit card donations.

You can donate to multiple UK charities and apply Gift Aid to each one, but you must complete a separate declaration for each charity. 

It will not be applied to donations received from tax efficient payment schemes. These include Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) payments or payroll gifts, as tax relief has already been claimed. 

Gift Aid cannot be applied to donations from a company or trust with which you are involved.  


I am a pensioner - can I Gift Aid my Donation?

You may still be paying tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or pay capital gains tax if you sell either a property or shares. 

You are still eligible if you have paid enough tax during the year to cover your donations (i.e. 25% of the value of your gifts).

I am not a taxpayer but my partner is, and our donations are made jointly. Are our gifts still eligible?

Yes, your gifts are still eligible for Gift Aid, but we need each of your personal details separately for our records. 

If you are giving jointly, the person who completes a Gift Aid declaration must be named on the account from which the donation is made.

Does my Declaration Cover all Donations I’ve Ever Made to St George’s?

We can only claim tax relief on donations made to St George's in the last four tax years (6 April – 5 April), and dating forward from your Gift Aid declaration.

I'm a Higher Rate Taxpayer - Can I Gift Aid at a Higher Level?

If you’re a higher rate taxpayer, we’re still only able to claim the basic rate of tax on your donation.

As a higher-rate taxpayer you have the right to reclaim tax on your charitable donations. You need to include details of your charitable gifts on your self-assessment tax form to claim your additional personal tax relief (this being the difference between the basic rate of 20% and your higher rate).

If you would like a receipt for eligible donations that you have made, then please contact or 01344 629900. 

Can I Change or Withdraw my Gift Aid Declaration?

If you stop paying tax or your address changes, please inform us straight away. 

You can cancel your declaration at any time by emailing your full name and address, including your postcode, to or by calling 01344 629900

I've Got Another Question...

Please contact Rachelle Barnett, Head of Philanthropy, on or by calling 01344 629900